Individual client services
Providing world-class treatment for those who serve, guard and save
If you are an individual seeking help, know that at Breakwater we are experts in assessing and treating operational stress symptoms, while addressing both the psychological and biological components of stress and mental health.
Our team is led by clinical psychologists, the assessment experts of the mental health world.
We’re able to:
- Establish or rule out diagnoses of depression, PTSD or other conditions
- Give an up-to-date picture of how well you are coping with stress, relative to your individual baseline
- Measure relevant aspects of personality, such as resilience and vulnerability to stress
- Assess mental capacities that can degrade after injury or chronic stress, such as problem-solving, attention and memory
- Directly measure the functioning of your brain and autonomic nervous system through innovative research-based tools such as quantitative electroencephalography and heart-rate variability analysis
We stay on top of the scientific literature and provide psychotherapy that is based solidly on research conducted among first responders, military service members, and veterans.
We understand that what works for other people may not necessarily be effective for those in high-stress professions, and ensure that the services we provide are matched to the unique needs of the people we serve.
Our approach is respectful, informed, no-nonsense, and tailored to you.
Our psychotherapy services include:
- Evidence-informed, integrative therapy for individuals
- Couples therapy
- Therapy support for first responders’ family members
Biologically-based therapies (neuromodulation)
In keeping with our awareness that there are both psychological and biological components to stress and mental health, we provide cutting-edge, research-driven interventions that directly modify the functioning of the brain, including:
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS)
- EEG biofeedback (neurofeedback)
- Heart-Rate Variability (HRV) biofeedback
- Consultation on medication options
Some of these interventions are done in the office, while others can be managed from home through the use of apps, wearables and hand-held devices. All have been shown in scientific research to increase the brain’s capacity for self-regulation.
Consultation with a psychiatrist
Our consulting psychiatrist offers one-time medication consults and can forward resulting recommendations to your general practitioner.